It became clear that customers were looking for more assurance and confidence – and retailers were looking for ways to provide it. So, in 1985, we founded the Valuation Centre of Australia and began working alongside Australian jewellery retailers as an independent valuation service.
In the decades that followed, VCA became synonymous with valuation integrity and is now the largest independent jewellery valuation service in the country, supporting more than 350 retail jewellery stores.
In recent years, our service has grown even further to include insurance policies supported by QBE and our quarterly Australian Jewellery Index, which has become a trusted price guide of the Australian and international jewellery markets.
Great service backed by experience
The Valuation Centre of Australia comprises a highly professional team of gemologists and valuers headed by Mr Terence Mitchell.
CEO – Mr Terence Mitchell (FGA), DD (GIA)
Terence is internationally qualified and holds exclusive memberships in Australia, the United States of America and the United Kingdom. In his 47 years in the trade, he has had exposure to rough and cut diamonds and coloured stones as a government consultant gemologist, held the position of precious stone buyer throughout Asia, Israel and Europe for one of De Beers’ major brokers, and gathered antique and fine jewellery experience through some of the leading auction houses. But his gemological experience is just the beginning. He’s also had first-hand exposure to a variety of gems beyond our shores, has managed a manufacturing business for handmade and cast jewellery, holds historical knowledge on the development of jewellery pieces and a sound understanding of international pricing.
Below is a comprehensive account of Terence’s qualifications and memberships:
- Fellow of Gemological Association of Great Britain
- Diamond grading – Gemological Institute of America
- Sworn appraiser to High Court of Rhodesia
- Consultant gemologist to Rhodesian Government – liaison officer with South African IDB squad
- Australian CEO for Bonas & Co. (De Beers – rough diamond sight holder)
- Australian CEO for Backes & Strauss (cut diamonds and coloured stones purchase – London)
- Past president of The National Council of Jewellery Valuers (NCJV)
- Board member of Australian Association of Jewellery Valuers (AAJV)